Sometimes you may crochet something simple and just want to update it a little bit. This dendrite snowflake motif crochet pattern is a perfect solution. It goes easily onto hats, cowls, scarves, and of course, ear warmers. If you’ve wanted something to update your pattern with, then grab this motif tutorial and make a few in different colors to get started!
What Type of Yarn Should I Use for a Motif?
This is best with a DK weight yarn or a sport yarn. You want it to hold its shape nicely and be easy to sew in place on whatever project you decide to use this for.
How do I Use These for Christmas Ornaments?
The single stitch chain offers a great “loop” on the snowflake that can make it into a lovely holiday ornament. For it to stay in the shape you wish, it is definitely a must to block the ornament. I also have seen many similar to this blocked and then sprayed with starch to let set and stiffen so they stay the same shape year after year.
What Patterns Should I Use This Motif With?
You can attach this snowflake to almost any pattern you make. I’ve seen it used on scarves, blankets, hats, and more. A few of my favorite patterns to add this to are listed below but don’t hesitate to make and attach them to any of your favorite patterns.
- Crisp Dawn Crochet Hat Pattern with Multiple Size Options
- Easy Crochet Hat Pattern with 2 Different Tops
- Hill Crest Crochet Hat Pattern In 4 Sizes
- Spruce Crochet Cowl Beginner Neck Warmer Pattern
- Enchanted Moments Puff Stitch Crochet Scarf
- Snuggly Gathered Buds Keyhole Scarf
- Free Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern With Tutorial
- Spruce Beginner Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
How to Crochet a Snowflake Motif
A simple tutorial below walks you through each step to create your own little dendrite snowflake motif. Follow this to make these and add to your next crochet hat or ear warmer pattern. They can also be used as holiday ornaments!
How Big is This Snowflake Motif?
The size of your motif will depend upon the type of yarn you choose. I recommend a sport weight or DK weight yarn, and the average sizes listed for each are below. You can use different yarns or hook sizes but it will change the overall size of your snowflake.
Widest point with sport weight yarn:
- 3 in (7.6 cm) in diameter
- Crochet hook: Size G/6 (4mm)
Widest point with DK weight yarn:
- 3.5 in (8.8 cm) in diameter
- Crochet hook: Size H/8 (5mm)
- The yarn shown in the picture is organic sport and DK weight cotton yarn, but any sport or DK yarn will work.
- Tapestry needle
- Materials for blocking
Skill Level: Easy/Beginner
- The yarn used for these items contains natural fiber and requires special laundering. Please read yarn labels and follow directions to maintain the life of your crochet work.
- Do not join rounds unless specified.
Altered Bean Stitch:
Insert the hook into the stitch, yarn over and pull through, *yarn over, insert hook in the same stitch, pull through, repeat from * 4 more times, yarn over, pull through 12 loops on hook, chain 1, skip 1 stitch. It is necessary to keep a slightly loose tension on the hook to bring yarn through all 12 loops.
How to Make a Snowflake Motif
Chain 6, slip stitch in the first chain to join.
Single crochet (sc) 2 times in each chain (12 sc total.) Do not slip stitch to join.
Altered Bean Stitch in the first stitch from Round 1, chain 5, slip stitch into on top of same Altered Bean Stitch, skip next stitch from Round 1, *bean stitch, chain 5, slip stitch into on top of same Altered on top of Bean Stitch, skip next stitch from Round 1, repeat from * 4 more times for a total of 6 bean stitches, slip stitch to join.
- Weave in ends.
- Block to shape.