I absolutely love whipping up hats to gift and to add something new to my wardrobe. This easy crochet hat pattern is one that is a favorite with the simple stitching. Two colors come together to create a simple brim that can lay flat or turn up easily depending upon your preferences. The crisp dawn crochet hat is one inspired by cool mornings and the need for a hat to keep your head and ears warm.
Crisp Dawn Crochet Hat
Hats may look like they are hard to make, but in fact, they are some of the easiest patterns you can crochet. Usually, as in this case, the pattern is very simple and just a matter of repeated rows of stitching. The crisp dawn hat is a new favorite because it incorporates two colors and the brim that can be worn down flat or folded up. I love this for kids who hate wearing ear muffs. I can just tuck the flaps down to lay flat to keep them warmer!
What Yarn is Best for Making Hats?
I used Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande in a bulky weight. Most hats are made best with a bulky weight yarn. They can be made with any yarn you prefer, but a nice thick or chunky yarn looks best and will hold shape for this type of hat best. Below are some options that work well for making hats.
Can I Add a Pom Pom to the Top of This Hat?
You can definitely add a pom pom to this hat. I like making my own out of matching yarn, but you can pick up pom poms in various textures and colors at your local craft store. They are typically easy to stitch in after the pattern is complete.
More Crochet Patterns
If you want more great ideas for crocheting new patterns to add to gifts or just for fun, we have a ton to share with you. Below are some of our favorite collections of patterns that are sure to have tons of great ideas to keep you and your crochet hooks busy!
- 30+ Brilliant Easy Crochet Basket Patterns for Home Storage
- 35 Precious Crochet Baby Hat Patterns Perfect for Baby Shower Gifts
- 42 Warm Crochet Sweater Patterns for Fall and Winter
- 40 Fashionable and Functional Fingerless Glove Crochet Patterns
How do You Crochet a Hat for Beginners?
Below you will find a pattern for making the crisp dawn peak hat. Available are multiple sizing options for your convenience and to make this a perfect hat for sharing with everyone in your family.
The instructions below are written for a toddler/child’s small. Adjustments are made and noted in brackets  for child’s medium/large, adult size small/medium, and adult size large/x-large.
- Base color: approximately 70 [90, 110,130] yards bulky weight yarn. Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande bulky weight yarn used for hats in pictures.
- Accent color: approximately 16 [20, 32, 45] yards bulky weight yarn. Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande bulky weight yarn used for hats in pictures.
- Crochet hook: Size K/10.5 (6.5 mm) or size needed to obtain gauge
- Tapestry needle
In half double crochet, 11 stitches and 9 rows = 4 in (10.1 cm)
Skill Level: Beginner/Easy
- Hat is worked from top down in a continuous spiral. Do not join rounds unless specified.
- See image tutorial instructions for color change
- Please take time to create a gauge sample before beginning work.
- This pattern is written to create a snug fitting hat.
- The yarn used for these items contains natural fiber and requires special laundering. Please read yarn labels and follow directions to maintain the life of your crochet work.
Crochet Hat Size Options
17 in (43.2 cm)
19 in (48.3 cm)
21 in (53.3 cm)
23 in (58.4 cm)
Chain 17 [19, 21, 23].
Two half double crochet in second stitch from hook, half double crochet in top loop (you will be working in top half of foundation chain) of each foundation chain until next to last stitch in row, 4 half double crochet in last stitch, continue to turn foundation chain in your hand and half double crochet in remaining unused loops of foundation chain until next to last stitch in row, 2 half double crochet in last stitch in row, slip stitch into first half double crochet to join round, 36 [40, 44, 48] half double crochet total. (This will create an elongated oval which will be the top of the hat.)
Rounds 2-14 [16, 18, 19]
Half double crochet in first stitch from previous round and continue for number of rounds indicated working in a continuous spiral, slip stitch in last stitch of round, (see image tutorial instructions for color change on last page) change to accent yarn color with one slip stitch, using accent color yarn slip stitch in next stitch, fasten off base yarn color.
Rounds 15 – 17 [17 – 21, 19 – 23, 20 – 25]:
In accent yarn color, half double crochet in next stitch and continue in each stitch for remaining rounds indicated, slip stitch in final stitch of round.
Turn hat inside out for peak seaming.
Fold both top ends of hat together – see Figure 1. Without leaving space between points, sew ends together at points – see Figure 2.
Weave in ends.
Color change image tutorial
Change to accent yarn color with one slip stitch
Using accent color yarn slip stitch in next stitch
In accent yarn color, half double crochet in next stitch
Finish off weaving in ends.