Crochet is a popular craft for chilly winter days, and this fall into winter hat crochet pattern with mini flower motif is the perfect idea for your next WIP.
Crochet Hat Pattern – Fall into Winter Hat with Mini Flower Motif
This crochet hat pattern will keep your head and ears warm with the thick cuff and textured design. The thick cuff will help keep the heat in while the beautiful texture will add some style!
What’s even better about this crochet pattern are the gorgeous flower motif that adorns it! If you are making this hat for someone that would not appreciate the addition of a flower motif, this hat is still quite beautiful without it, given the distinct texture that holds the heat in!
This crochet pattern makes a perfect gift for someone you love or to spoil yourself. Plus this crochet winter hat pattern is easy to follow with a detailed instructions that are so simple, it’s perfect for a beginner crocheter.
What Type of Yarn Should I Use for a Crocheted Hat?
The hat is made with a bulky weight yarn and an L crochet hook. I used Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande bulky weight yarn, but any bulky weight yarn should work well.
This hat has fantastic texture and would be be awesome for any fall or winter outfit you want to wear.
Generally, crochet hats are made with either a worsted weight or bulky weight yarn. Honestly, they can be made with just about any yarn you prefer, but starting with a nice thick or chunky yarn not only tends to looks best but it will also hold the shape better for this type of hat. Below are some of my favorite options for making hats.
Can I Add a Pom Pom to the Top of This Hat?
You can definitely add a pom pom to this DIY crochet hat. Typically, I take a few minutes to make my own pom poms using some matching or contrasting yarn, but you can grab some pre-made pom poms at any craft store. Whether you decide to make your own or go with the pre-made pom poms, they are typically pretty easy to stitch in place after the pattern is complete.
This particular design might even look cute with one giant pom pom in the center or two pom poms – one on each side!
More Crochet Patterns
If you want more great ideas for crocheting new patterns to add to gifts or just for fun, we have a ton to share with you. Below are some of our favorite collections of patterns that are sure to have tons of great ideas to keep you and your crochet hooks busy!
- 30+ Brilliant Easy Crochet Basket Patterns for Home Storage
- 35 Precious Crochet Baby Hat Patterns Perfect for Baby Shower Gifts
- 42 Warm Crochet Sweater Patterns for Fall and Winter
- 40 Fashionable and Functional Fingerless Glove Crochet Patterns
How do You Crochet a Hat for Beginners?
Below you will find a pattern for making the Fall Into Winter hat. Included are multiple sizing options for your convenience and to make this a perfect hat for sharing with everyone in your family.
Fall Into Winter Hat
Pattern written in toddler/child’s small; changes for child’s medium/large, adult size small/medium and adult large/x-large in [ ].
- Approximately 80 [130, 180, 210] yards bulky weight yarn. Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande bulky weight yarn used for hats in pictures.
- Crochet hook: Size L/11 (8 mm) or size needed to obtain gauge
- Tapestry needle
In alternating half double crochet, 11 stitches and 7 rows = 4 in (10.1 cm)
- Hat is worked from top down in a continuous spiral. Do not join rounds unless specified.
- Please take time to create a gauge sample before beginning work. This hat will provide a loose fit when finished.
- This pattern is designed to be worn with reverse side out. Pictures in this pattern document show wrong side facing out.
- Longer length is built into pattern design in order to be folded at bottom to create a wide brim or cuff giving extra coverage for ear warmth.
- The yarn used for these items contains natural fiber and requires special laundering. Please read yarn labels and follow directions to maintain the life of your crochet work.
17 in (43.2 cm)
19 in (48.3 cm)
21 in (53.3 cm)
23 in (58.4 cm)
- Alternating Half Double Crochet: Basic half double crochet stitch, alternating in back and front loop: *1 half double crochet in back loop only of the stitch followed by 1 half double crochet in front loop only of next stitch, repeat from * for desired length.
- Reverse Single Crochet: Working backwards (or to the right), insert hook back into previous stitch (both loops), yarn over and draw up a loop by pulling hook through stitch, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook, one stitch completed.
Chain 17 [21, 24, 27].
Stitch 2 single crochet (sc) in second chain from hook, sc in one loop of each foundation chain until last chain in row, stitch 4 sc in last chain, continue to turn foundation chain in your hand and sc in each second loop of foundation chain until last chain in row, stitch 2 sc in last chain in row, slip stitch in first sc to join round, 36 [44, 50, 56] sc total. (This will create an elongated oval, which will be the top of the hat.)
Rounds 2 – 16 [20, 23, 27]:
Alternating half double crochet (see special stitch instructions above) in first stitch from previous round and continue for desired length working in a continual spiral, slip stitch in last stitch. Do not turn piece.
Reverse single crochet (see special stitch instructions above) in each stitch (both loops) of previous row, slip stitch to join.
Do not turn hat inside out for peak seaming.
Fold both top ends of hat together. Without leaving space between points, sew ends together at points.
Weave in ends.
Turn hat to reverse side. (This hat is designed to be worn reverse side out.)
Attach a Fall Into Winter Crochet Flower Motif (see motif pattern included in pattern package).